Friday, October 8, 2010

Shopping at the Ikea Marketplace

If you need a few things to add some excitement to a tired looking room, try Ikea in Stoughton.  I was looking for some large candle pillers for two outdoor lanterns and I found them at the Ikea Marketplace and a lot more.  The white candle pillars ranged in height from 4" to approx. 18" with a 4" diameter.  A cluster of  these large candles could make a great center piece for a coffee table or for the holidays on the dining room table.  The price point was great too.  The 9" candle was only $10 compared to $20 at Target (granted theirs is scented). 

The other things I saw while I was there were some great healthy looking house plants.  Replacing a sad looking indoor plant with a new one always makes a room look fresher.  The large floor plants were $18 to $25.  If you are not into keeping plants alive there are some great bundles of twigs and silk flowers.  Not a huge selection, but the prices were very reasonable.  Which is important since it usually takes a lot to fill a large floor vase.  I think I will be going back for a bundle of the 6' twigs for $14.99.

Another thing I like about Ikea is their price on accessories.  You can buy multiples and not break the bank.  Multiple vases for a table scape, multiple frames for the walls and fun glassware for a party.  I realize Ikea is very contemporary, but many of the accessories are neutral and can be mixed with your current room style.  Most of the examples of this are what I have mentioned such as the botanicals, candles and glassware.

Ikea is a great option if you want to experiment with a look or if it is just temporary, for instance the holidays.  This store makes it easier to be creative, since you know it won't be outside your budget.  Check out Ikea if you have a chance.






Dotty Wyman is the principal designer at www.dottywymandesigns.com.

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas Dotty. I love IKEA for that. You can wander around there for hours and get inspired. Plus, as you said, you aren't breaking the bank when you buy something. I will be heading there before the holidays.

    ReplyDelete