Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Redecorating Dining Room - Hiring Trades People (4)

The next step in the design process is to hire the trades people for the project.  As I mentioned in my previous blog, I need to hire an upholsterer, painter, finish wood worker and possibly an electrician.  I am making the window treatments, so I will not need to hire a window treatment service.  Hiring trade professionals can be an overwhelming task, because you need to trust that they can do the work needed for your design project.

I'm sure you have heard it before, but a great way to hire someone is through word of mouth.  You have the opportunity to look at their previous work and get the real scoop from someone who has already worked with that trades person.  Don't worry, if you need to hire unrecommended trades people, just make sure you get a few different estimates and check their references. Quality of work is important, but so is showing up on time, cleanliness, accurate cost estimates, time needed to complete the work and trustworthiness.    The other important factor is to communicate your expectations clearly.  The trades person needs to know specifically what you want and your time constraints.  The more details you provide about the project and the more questions you ask, leaves less of a chance for problems due to miscommunication. 

I have hired the upholsterer and as soon as all of my fabrics have been delivered I will have him pick up the chairs.  The painter I contacted is willing to do the small amount of finish carpentry.  This will eliminate the extra work for me of trying to find a finish carpenter to do such a small job.  I am still on the fence about adding additional lighting at this point in time.  I will let you know what I decide.


Dotty Wyman is the principal designer at www.dottywymandesigns.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment