Monday, May 2, 2011

California Closets - My experience

Recently, I attended a charity auction and bid on (and won) a $500 gift certificate for California Closets.  I wanted to learn more about their closet systems and the company.  The closets always look so organized and perfect in the brochures, but I wanted to know if it was really worth it. 

Below are a couple of pictures of what the closet looks like now.  The wire rack system works and makes pretty good use of the closet space compared to a single wood pole.  I don't like the wire shelves.  Items don't seem to sit well on them, especially shoes.  Clothing is hung up in 12" section, so you can't slide you clothes to see what you want to pull out.  Many items need to be stacked on top of each other which makes it difficult to get at them.



A week after the auction I called the California Closets sales person about my closet project.  I explained, the need to redo my daughter's closet to accommodate her hanging clothing, shoes, her fathers off season shirts and piles of stuff on the closet floor.  I met with Nancy a few days later to discuss my options.   She put together a computer drawing for me to see during our meeting.  She easily made adjustments to shelf  heights and widths.  When she left I had the closet layout and the price.


Once I confirmed the closet layout I scheduled an installation a week later.  Prior to the installer arriving I had to empty the closet and take down the wire rack system.  Removing the racks and screws from the wall only took me about 1 hour.  I have yet to Spackle the holes left, so I still have to do a little more work.  They would have done it for me for an additional cost.  California Closets called to confirm the appointment the previous day.  The installer arrived on time and completed installing the closet system in a little more than an hour (I thought it was very quick).  The closet system seems very sturdy, strong and used every inch of space.



My overall assessment of Tori's new closet is positive.  I really like the solid lament shelves.  It allows more items to be up off the floor and at eye level.  Most of the hanging clothing is easily accessible on aluminum poles.  The upper right bar for clothing is a challenge to reach, but this area is great for items you don't need to get to everyday.  The new closet system does not allow us to put more stuff in the closet (same amount went back in), but the items there are more organized and can be accessed more easily.  This is a pricey investment.  It cost $1,030 to do the entire closet, including installation.  After saying that, I received excellent customer service and the closet is guaranteed for life.  They made it so easy from my initial call until installation.  If you want that extra attention, convenience and quality then this could be a good option for you.

Closet is filled and every shelf is used

Not as perfect as the brochure, but
everything fits and I can close the doors

http://www.californiaclosets.com/

Dotty Wyman is the principal designer at www.dottywymandesigns.com.

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous! I have been to a California Closets showroom and they seem to sell a high-quality product. For now, I will have to make do with items I have picked-up form the Container Store.

    ReplyDelete